Whether from genetics or hormones, many people have hairy arms. This can be incredibly distressing for women who are embarrassed by it. Many women struggle with wearing short-sleeve fashions in the heat. Even bracelets can be uncomfortable.
The most common causes of hairy arms include:
- Medications. Some medications can cause increased hair growth, including those containing cortisol and some birth control.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. This inherited condition results in increased production of cortisol and testosterone.
- Cushing’s syndrome. This condition occurs when your body produces high levels of cortisol, primarily in stress response. Cortisol is also present in some medications and can disrupt the balance of hormones in your body, resulting in hirsutism (growth of coarse, dark hair).
- Polycystic ovaries. Ovarian cysts are a common condition and can cause weight gain, irregular periods, and hair growth.
- Tumors. Hirsutism can be caused by androgen-secreting tumors in the ovaries or adrenal glands, though this is rare.
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
How to Get Rid of Arm Hair?
When removing hair from your arms, you have several options ranging from short-term solutions to treatments that reduce hair over time. But first, see your doctor to eliminate possible health issues.
You can experiment with at-home hair removal remedies, such as depilatory creams, shaving, trimming, bleaching or waxing. These provide short-term results and can be painful or cause noticeable ingrown hairs. We recommend professional hair removal treatments.
Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair is FDA approved to permanently reduce unwanted hair from your body including arms. This treatment uses concentrated beams of light to penetrate the hair follicle and destroy the hair. It is useful for hair that has pigment, such as black or brown hair.Learn more
Since blonde or red hair has difficulty with laser hair removal treatment, adding a radiofrequency (Elos System or e-Laser) treatment to your laser hair removal may improve your results for removing arm hair (not available at our clinic).
Electrolysis is FDA-approved as a permanent hair removal treatment. An electrode is inserted into your skin and an electric current passes through the hair follicle, preventing hair growth (not available at our clinic).