Facial drying can be caused by many factors. In medical terms, dry skin is known as xerosis. Hormone levels change as we age and this can worsen dryness. Specifically, lack of thyroid hormone, also known as hypothyroidism, makes skin appear dry.
Many women in menopause and men in andropause (testosterone deficiency) lose their testosterone. This strips the skin of natural oils. Oral diuretic medication and topical retinoids (such as Retin-A, Differin, Tazorac, Tactuo, and Stieva-A) can severely dry the skin. Even glycolic acids and benzoyl peroxide can contribute to dryness.
Most common causes of dry skin include:
- Changes in the weather can contribute to dry skin; this normally happens in the winter when the temperature gets cold.
- Heat is a factor as well for space heaters, wood burning stove and fireplaces which tend to reduce humidity and dry your skin.
- Harsh skin products and detergents.
- Skin conditions such as; eczema or psoriasis are prone to dry skin.
- Incorrect makeup, excessive washing, inadequate moisturization, medication, and some illnesses can contribute to dryness.
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
How to Get Rid of Dry Skin?
Here’s how you can get rid of dry skin.
- Medical-grade moisturizing skin care products specifically made for dry skin types.\ For example, topical hyaluronic acid such as found in B-5 Hydrating Gel from SkinCeuticals, penetrate into the skin and attract moisture.
- Identify the cause of your dry skin and optimize hormones with a comprehensive medical evaluation.
- Wash your face, pat dry, and apply a moisturizer immediately to trap water in the skin.
- If retinoids (prescription), retinaldehyde or retinols (in anti-aging skin care products) are used, start with one pea sized amount, two to three nights per week. Only build up after a few weeks, once you tolerate the redness and dryness effect. This way you can also combat acne, wrinkles, and sun damage effectively in the long term.
Chemical Peels can be used on dry skin. A light peel helps with surface level problems such as dry skin, improving the appearance of your skin.Learn more
Intended to rejuvenate and protect your skin, by exfoliating surface level dead skin cells.. HydraFacials are safe for all skin types including dry skin.Learn more
A correcting treatment combined with a deep moisturizing treatment are great dry skin. Dead skin cells are exfoliated and promote renewed skin.Learn more
SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Gel
A moisturising booster-serum with high concentrations of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5. Great for all skin types.Buy Now
SkinMedica TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream
Restore’s your skin’s moisture barrier. It also hydrates your skin, making it a great skincare product for dry or post-procedure skin.Buy Now
Rich, restorative moisturizer that helps rejuvenate dull and dry skin. It strengthens your skin's natural moisture barrier while protecting it.Buy Now