What are arm and hand scars?
Arm & hand scars form for many reasons. Some people get acne on shoulders and arms or keratosis pilaris (inflammation and bumpiness of follicles in skin with swollen keratin plugs). Parasuicidal gestures and self harm behaviours such as cutting can produce linear, white, or raised scars on the forearm.
Scars from surgical procedures or wounds can also be difficult to live with and can cause stress, hiding and self consciousness.
What can be done?
Once a cut has been made into the skin there is no way to reverse the fiborous scar that forms during the skin’s healing response. However, there are ways to soften, flatten, lighten and reduce the appearance of most scars.
- Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 fractional laser resurfacing is useful for raised scars or pigmented, darker scars that have color in them.
- SkinMedica Scar Recovery Gel has been proven to be very effective with softening and flattening scars, particularly if they have recently formed.
- Anti Aging Skin Care Products containing hydroquinone or emblica can help lighten the hyperpigmented areas or soften the borders of scars.
- Venus Viva for skin remodeling and resurfacing.
- Microdermabrasion can even texture and smooth the surface of the skin for a few weeks.
- Skinceutical Glycolic + Lactic Gel Peel
- Skinceutical Salicylic / Mandelic Peel
- Scar Revision is a surgical procedure that removes scars that are thick or wide. Another scar will form in it’s place but should be less noticeable.