(Results vary by individual patient and results cannot be guaranteed)
What is forehead / brow surprise?
The lines that form when you raise your eyebrows are known as surprise lines, forehead or brow surprise lines. These serve an important purpose to convey interest and excitement. Without eyebrow raising, people look tired, dull, and uninterested in anybody else.
Notice how news readers on TV raise the eyebrows at regular intervals to facilitate communication of important points. It is vital that the aesthetic physician soften these brow lines without drooping corners of eyebrows or causing pointed or peaked brows. A pointed brow is known as a “Spock brow”, named after Mr. Spock in the original Star Trek series (he is not to be confused with Dr. Spock of 1960’s childrearing fame).
As we age our brow frontalis muscles become weaker, skin loses elasticity and fat and support structures below the skin are lost. This leads to a drooping or sagging of brow skin, muscles, and eyebrows.
What can be done?
- Neuromodulators can be injected into the moving, horizontal lines of the brow to relax them.
- Soft dermal fillers such as Juvederm , Belotero® or Restylane-L can be used to fill permanent, horizontal brow lines.
- Thermage CPT uses radiofrequency to tighten collagen and tighten forehead tissue.
- Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 Laser Resurfacing can smooth fine lines and wrinkles.
- Surgical brow lift can be performed in the traditional fashion or endoscopically to hide scars.