What are Dimpled Chin Lines?
Most people don’t notice that they have dimpled chin lines unless they look in the mirror while talking or eating. These divots and lines tend to form as we age as a result of fat loss in and around the chin area.
They can also appear on younger people as a result of an over-active mentalis muscle. As the chin is pulled up with the mentalis muscles, a dimpling effect is achieved. This is also known as peau d’orange or golf ball chin.
The first treatment is to relax the muscle with a small amount of a Neuromodulator. Usually, five to ten units will do.
Chances are that is the area has lost enough volume to produce dimpled chin lines then it probably also created marionette lines. These are the lines that run from the corners of the mouth down to the chin. If this is the case, then some dermal fillers such as Restylane, Emervel or Juvederm may be added to deal with both issues.
Using the safest possible technique in which a micro-cannula is used to lay down a smooth layer of filler across the entire area can replace the lost volume and smooth the chin and associated lines.
What can be done?
- Neuromodulators can relax mentalis muscle and prevent chin muscles dimpling the skin.
- Dermal filler of the thicker type such as Juvederm Voluma XC, Perlane-L, and Radiesse can be used to fill the chin and push out the chin lines.
- Sculptra can be used to replace lost collagen.
- Thermage CPT Radiofrequency can tighten chin skin.
- Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 Laser Resurfacing can help smooth permanent chin lines.