What are frown lines?
The frown lines or glabella lines is the most popular area treated with neuromodulator injections. While other lines have some positive aspects, these lines can note frustration and anger. Many people inadvertently contract their glabella muscle between the eyebrows to produce frown lines subconsciously.
This can occur on reading, concentrating, or even thinking. Once frowning has occurred for many years, the moving lines progress into resting lines that are there even when not frowning. At that stage, neuromodulators are insufficient and dermal filler would also need to be injected. The look of two permanent vertical frown lines in the glabella area is known as the 11 sign.
What can be done?
- Neuromodulators injected into the glabella area to relax the muscles that pull to create these lines.
- Soft dermal fillers such as Belotero,® Juvederm or Restylane carefully injected into the vertical glabella lines. Thick filler needs to be avoided for fear of compromising blood supply.
- Thermage CPT Radiofrequency to tighten facial skin.
- Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 Laser Resurfacing to smooth permanent lines.
- Surgical brow lift can reduce frown lines for a few years.