If your skin is oily, acne prone, has blackheads or blotchy pigmentation, our skin care centre offers effective salicylic-mandelic acid peels in Vancouver, BC, Canada. SkinCeuticals Gel Peel SM (salicylic-mandelic) is a safe and naturally derived chemical peel that cleanses skin and clears congested pores while exfoliating and evening out skin complexion. Though frequently used to rejuvenate facial skin, the salicylic-mandelic peel may also be used on other areas of the body.
For more information about SkinCeuticals peels or costs, contact us for a consultation.
What is a salicylic and mandelic peel?
SkinCeuticals Gel Peel SM is a thin, “light” chemical peel containing both mandelic and salicylic acids derived from willow bark and bitter almond, respectively.
Salicylic acid – a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) – is best known for its use in Aspirin ® products as a pain reliever. It has many dermatologic benefits and is used as a treatment for seborrheic dermatitis, acne, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris (rough, bumpy “chicken skin”) and calluses. In cosmetic skin treatments its main benefits are its ability to cleanse and exfoliate. Salicylic is a keratolytic – softening keratin – an abundance of which can cause thickened, dry skin patches. Salicylic acid also inhibits the reproduction of bacteria, while cleansing clogged pores.
Mandelic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) derived from almonds. Another antibacterial and exfoliant, mandelic has the added benefit of improving photoaging and fine lines (sun damage), hyperpigmentation, post-acne lesions and hyperpigmentation.
A 2008 study concluded that salicylic-mandelic peels are effective, safe and better for treating inflammatory acne lesions and post-acne hyperpigmentation than glycolic acid peels. The study also determined that the combination of salicylic and mandelic may be more highly effective and more well- tolerated than common AHAs (such as glycolic) alone for the treatment of acne and its associated complications.
(Results vary by individual patient and results cannot be guaranteed)
Benefits of salicylic and mandelic acid peels
- Cleans and exfoliates, oily acne-prone skin.
- Leaves skin feeling refreshed and re-texturized.
- Improves uneven skin pigmentation.
- Softens leathery, sun-damaged skin on many areas of the body.
- Reduces the frequency and severity of acne breakouts.
- Effective, non-invasive.
- A light peel that is well tolerated.
- Virtually painless.
Am I a good candidate?
- You are a good candidate if you have oily, acne prone skin, post-acne skin lesions and hyperpigmentation, uneven skin tone and texture.
Salicylic-mandelic peel contraindications:
You should not have salicylic and mandelic acid peels if you have:
- An Aspirin allergy or sensitivity
- Sunburned skin
- Skin inflammation or infections
- Active acne
- Unhealed wounds
- Extremely sensitive skin
- Recently had other skin peel treatments
- Recently taken or will take Accutane. Having chemical peel treatments while on Accutane increases the risks of scarring and irritation. You must discontinue Accutane for 6-months prior to a chemical peel.
Before the treatment
- Read and understand the contraindications listed above.
- Wait 2 weeks after a sunburn or skin laser treatments.
What happens during the treatment?
Your skin will be cleansed and prepared for the treatment with a special solution. Then, SkinCeuticals Gel Peel SM (salicylic acid-mandelic acid) is brushed onto the treatment areas and remains on your skin for 2-5 minutes. You may feel slight tingling, stinging and itchiness, which usually subsides within a minute. To make you more comfortable, your skin can be fanned to cool and soothe the skin. When the treatment is over, your skin is rinsed and moisturizer and sunblock are applied.
Treatment time: About 20 minutes.
After the treatment
- Avoid heat such hot baths/showers, sauna, or steam room for 24 hours.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Avoid strenuous activities and exercise for 24 hours.
- Do not apply makeup for 24 hours.
- You may notice mild flaking for 2-3 days after the treatment. Do not remove flaking skin by pulling, picking, or rubbing – doing so may cause discoloration and scarring.
- Gently wash your face with a mild cleanser daily.
- Do not use wash cloths, mechanical scrubs, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, retinoids, skin lighteners, wax, or strong astringents for 7 days.
- Do not have electrolysis treatments or use depilatories (chemical hair removal) for 7 days.
- Avoid exposure to the sun as much as possible for 7 days.
- Use SPF 30 or higher sunscreen every day, even if you avoid the sun.
- Do not tan for at least 30 days.
Recovery time: No downtime required. You may resume normal activities immediately. For a few days your skin may be slightly pink, tender, or itchy and for several days you may notice some minor flaking.
How many treatments will I need?
The number of SkinCeuticals peel treatments required to improve your skin’s appearance depends on the type and severity of conditions being treated, although a single treatment will provide visible improvement.
- A series of 4-6 peels (1-2 per week) will result in significant improvement.
- Maintenance treatments should occur at four to six week intervals.
Other treatment options
We offer several other SkinCeuticals peels and other skin treatments that improve sun damage, skin texture, acne and acne scarring.
- Fraxel ® laser
- IPL (intense pulsed light) photofacial
- SkinCeuticals Gel Peel GL (glycolic-lactic acid)
More information about salicylic-mandelic peels
- SkinCeuticals acid peels information from SkinCeuticals.com
- Read the study Glycolic Acid Peels Versus Salicylic–Mandelic Acid Peels in Active Acne Vulgaris and Post-Acne Scarring and Hyperpigmentation by Vijay Kumar Garg MBBS, MD, MNAMS; Surabhi Sinha MBBS; and Rashmi Sarkar MBBS, MD, December 9, 2008.
- Read more about salicylic acid at DermNet.
- Read more about chemical peels at DermNet.
A HAPPY FACE
Shelley has always given me great service and that hasn’t changed. I’m finding that my skin just after 2 Microdermabrasions with the peel, my pores are looking smaller and my skin in general is looking finer. I have two more treatments which I look forward to and can’t wait to see how much more improvement I will see. I think I will try to continue this treatment on a regular basis. I believe it is recommended that I come in every 3 months now for this treatment once having 4 treatments close together.