CoolSculpting® is for many but not everyone. It is not a treatment for obesity. Instead, the technique is appropriate for helping to remove small amounts of extra fat resistant to other weight-loss attempts such as diet and exercise. Ideally, you want to be within 10lbs of your ideal body weight and able to maintain that weight. The more fat you have to address the more treatments you will need.
CoolSculpting® is a safe and effective treatment for reducing subcutaneous body fat (it is the fat you can pinch), rather than visceral fat, (the fat that lines your organs and is associated with diabetes and heart disease.
But there are some people who should not try CoolSculpting. People who have the following conditions should not do this treatment because of the risk of dangerous complications. These conditions include:
- cold agglutinin disease
- paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria (PCH)
Ideal CoolSculpting® Candidate
You are an ideal candidate if you are in good overall health, and have unwanted fat in specific areas that you want to get rid of. CoolSculpting® procedure is not a weight-loss solution for people who are obese but is a great non-surgical alternative to liposuction.
You can take a quick quiz to see if you are a candidate for the CoolSculpting® procedure.
Dr. Gidon Frame will consult with you and you may need to discuss these considerations as these are possible contraindications:
- Cryoglobulinemia – a condition in which an abnormal level of cryoglobulins (proteins which thicken in cold temperatures) are present in the blood level
- Pregnant or lactating women
- Cold agglutinin disease – an autoimmune disease in which exposure of blood to cold temperatures lead to red blood cell death
- Paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria – a blood disorder in which a change from cold to warm temperature led to red blood cell death
- Recent surgery at the site
- Pre-existing hernia in or adjacent to the treatment site
- Known sensitivities or allergies
- Known sensitivity to cold such as cold urticaria or Raynaud’s disease, pernio, or Chilblains
- Known sensitivity or allergy to isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, fructose, or glycerin
- Impaired peripheral circulation in the areas to be treated
- Nerve pain such as post-herpetic neuralgia or diabetic neuropathy
- Impaired skin sensation
- Open or infected wounds
- Bleeding disorders or simultaneous use of blood thinners
- Recent surgery or scar tissue in the area to be treated
- Skin conditions such as eczema, dermatitis, or rashes in the area to be treated
- An active implanted device such as a pacemaker or defibrillator
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety disorder
Request a Consultation
If you would like to learn more about Coolsculpting® or your candidacy for this procedure please feel free to reach out to us. We will happily answer your questions and schedule a consultation and help you begin your journey with us.
Anti-Aging Medical & Laser Clinic
Located on West 4th in Vancouver’s trendy Kitsilano area, Dr. Gidon Frame has been successfully slowing down the aging process and making happy patients happier at Anti-Aging Medical & Laser Clinic since 2003. Feel free to speak English, Chinese and Spanish with us!