The lines around the mouth are known as smoking lines, barcode lines or perioral lines. Many non-smokers also develop these lines as they age, from speaking and eating. Sun damage which causes collagen and elastin in the skin to break down, increases the progression of these lines.
Other causes of smoker’s lines include:
Surprisingly, smoker lines are a natural side-effect of aging. In addition to the aging process, the following are other causes of smoker lines:
- Sun exposure
- Smoking, vaping
- Smiling, puting
- Playing musical instruments like a recorder
- Repeated facial expressions
- Drinking from a straw or bottle
WHAT CAN BE DONE?
How to Get Rid of Smoking Lines?
There are a few things you can do to treat smoker lines and lines in general around your mouth. A good daily skin regimen and cosmetic treatments like Dermal Fillers or Neuromodulators temporarily reduce the appearance of smoking lines.
- Neuromodulators in a very low dose can temporarily reduce the force of the “oo” movement and make these lines less apparent when speaking.
- Soft dermal fillers such as Belotero,® Juvederm or Restylane can be carefully injected into these lines. It is important to avoid overfilling otherwise a ‘monkey look’ will be achieved. Often, re-defining the border of the lips can soften these lines without having to inject them individually. Replacing lost volume around the entire area surrounding lips, provides a scaffolding for the skin to lay across more smoothly and supports the corner of the mouth.
- Halo Laser Resurfacing can smooth these lines for a prolonged period.
- Venus Viva for remodeling and resurfacing the skin.
- INFINI Microneedling
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
PRP injection treatments create smoother skin by improving the lines around your mouth, reducing the appearance of smoker lines.Learn more
Dermal Fillers are one of the quickest and easiest ways to reduce smoking lines with an injectable lip filler to restore volume and reduce wrinkles.Learn more
Venus Viva remodels the skin around your mouth resulting in improved skin texture and collagen, significantly reducing smoking lines.Learn more
ZO 10% Vitamin C Self-Activating
This product by ZO is an anti-aging skincare product with vitamin C to redefine skin, reducing smoker lines and promoting an even skin tone.Buy Now
Vivier GrenzCine® Serum
A concentrated serum formulated to increase skin firmness, hydration and reduce smoker lines by improving elasticity. Great for all skin types.Buy Now
SkinCeuticals Antioxidant Lip Repair
A great treatment in a bottle, an emollient with antioxidants that smooths your skin and redefines the lip’s surface. Great for all skin types.Buy Now