Liposonix ® is a safe, non-invasive, fat removal treatment that can dissolve 1 inch of unwanted fat in the abdomen, flanks, or outer thighs that dieting and exercise does not seem to affect. Liposonix fat reduction treatments provide some of the same benefits as liposuction without the downtime, risks, or costs associated with surgery.
For more information about Liposonix in Vancouver, BC, contact the Anti-Aging Medical & Laser Clinic.
What is Liposonix ®?
Liposonix treatments use High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound or HIFU to precisely target fat beneath the skin. An experienced cosmetic treatments technician moves a handheld Liposonix head around the area being treated. A focused ultrasound beam targets fat cells beneath the skin’s surface without damaging surrounding tissue. HIFU destroys the fats cells and triggers the body’s natural healing process, metabolizing the disrupted cells through the liver over the course of several weeks.
Typically, results will be noticeable from 3-6 months after your first treatment.
(Results vary by individual patient and results cannot be guaranteed)
What is the difference between Liposonix ® and laser lipo?
Liposonix is entirely non-surgical and non-invasive. Although lipo laser employs laser to destroy fat cells, it is still a surgical procedure. A more accurate term to describe lipo laser fat removal is “laser-assisted liposuction”. In laser liposuction, a 1mm laser fibre is inserted into the skin. The laser destroys the fat cells, which are suctioned out of the body through a small tube known as a microcannula.
Benefits of Liposonix ®
- Safely removes up to 1 inch of unwanted fat from the abdomen, flanks and outer thighs
- Precise body contouring
- Little or no downtime
- No cutting or suctioning
- No injections
Am I a good candidate?
You must have at least 2.5 cm (1 inch) of fat in the area you want to treat.
You should not have a Liposonix treatment if you:
- have a BMI (body mass index) higher than 30
- have a bleeding disorder
- are taking medication to thin your blood or prevent clotting
- have had surgery, including laparoscopy in the area to be treated
- have had a previous liposuction or a liposculpture procedure in the area
- have an implanted electrical device such as a pacemaker
- are pregnant or may be pregnant
The clinic will review your medical history and make sure that you have at least an inch of fat and a BMI less than 30. Curious about your body mass index? Calculate your BMI here.
Before the treatment
- Shower and have a meal within an hour of your appointment.
- Be sure to arrange a ride home.
First, we take photographs and measurements of the areas being treated. You will be given the option of taking mild sedatives in pill form, though many patients tolerate the treatment quite well with no medication other than Tylenol. If you choose to take a sedative, you will relax for about 1 – 1 ½ hours while it takes effect. During that time, a technician will draw a grid around the treatment area. For those who forego the sedative medication, the treatment will then begin.
What happens during the treatment?
During the treatment you will feel prickling, heat, and tingling sensations. Some treatment sites will be more sensitive than others but the medication should make you quite comfortable and relaxed.
Treatment time: Approximately 2-2 ½ hours depending on the size and/or number of areas being treated.
After the treatment
You may have tenderness in the area after the treatment, and bruising may begin in a few days. The minor discomfort and bruising may last for a few weeks. Immediately following your treatment and for the next day or two, the treated areas will look slightly swollen. Massaging with arnica cream or gel can help minimize any bruising.
Recovery time: Little or no downtime. A few weeks for minor swelling/bruising to subside.
- Wear a tight garment (Spanks ® or a compression garment) around the area immediately after the treatment and for 2-4 weeks. Compression garments provide support, increase comfort and may minimize swelling and bruising.
- Do not make important decisions on treatment day (like signing documents).
- Take Tylenol for pain or discomfort.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications or supplements. The body’s natural inflammation response is a vital part of how Liposonix works.
- You may return to any normal activities and exercise as soon as you feel comfortable.
- It is important that you maintain your regular diet and weight for several months following your treatment. Eating less is fine, but increasing your food intake will negatively affect your results.
How many treatments will I need?
We recommend a package of 3 treatments spaced 8-12 weeks apart to lose 1+ inches of fat. (Results vary by individual patient and results cannot be guaranteed)
Other treatment options
If you have a much more than an 1 inch of fat to lose or if your BMI is too high for Liposonix fat reduction, other fat reducing procedures not available at our Vancouver clinic are:
- Laser-assisted liposuction
- Surgical body contouring
- Tummy tuck (abdomenoplasty)
More information about Liposonix ®
- Liposonix before and after photos
- Read about the effectiveness and safety of High-Intensity-Focused Ultrasound, from findings of a clinical study published in the Journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.